Tuesday, February 12, 2008

a gentle giant




Elephants walking under juicy-leaf trees
Walking with their children under juicy-leaf trees
Elephants walking like time

Elephants bathing in the foam-floody river
Fountaining their children in the motherly river
Elephants elephants bathing like happiness

Strong and gentle elephants
Standing on the earth
Strong and gentle elephants
Like peace

Time is walking under the elephant trees
Happiness is bathing in the elephant river
Strong gentle peace is shining
All over the elephant earth
-Adrian Mitchell

What is strong? How does one become strong? Two questions that I have asked myself over and over in my life. I feel that this poem sums it up beautifully. Strength stems from confidence, stability and a healthy rhythm of life. But more importantly, what I believe makes a person strong is gentleness, empathy, and acceptance. A person will never be strong in an environment where they are constantly ridiculed or where ignorance exists.

My friends, strive to be "an elephant" and live life in perfect balance.  

2 comments:

Julie, Lee, Noah and Neve Machen said...

Oh my, Jasps you look REALLY tall.
Have you been growing when I'm not seeing you?

Love you,
Noah

Mrs. Hammerwig said...

Noah, I have a long noodle inside my body that has been making me tall!! Are you growing tall too?

Your friend,
Jasper