Tuesday, January 29, 2008

a day

Do you ever have a day when the shower just won't get warm, you find that your cats have been eating the thread in your sewing room, your gargantuan stack of fabric has fallen over and your children have set up fort in the middle of it? Today was that day for me.

Because of my morning of misgivings, all I really wanted to do was sew. Just have a moment to push that pedal full throttle to the floor and create something. Anything...

My sidekick joined me in the sewing room. He and Bobby Acorn (his squirrel) drew pictures of rainbows and trees full of juicy red apples. While my budding artist was busy at work, I was making pants... finally.

The creative energy in the room was exuberant and raw as Jasper and I sat completely engaged in our craft. Although we spoke not a word to each other, we were one, connected in our crafty madness.

Then the silence was broken, "Mama, I want to stuff something. Something with wool. I want to use this fabric. Bobby Acorn needs a pillow." Jasper's otherwise sweet voice sounded like the roar of a lion as I fell out of my meditative crafting state and back into reality.

When I hear the words "I want to make", it is my natural inclination to drop everything and facilitate the creating. Jasper chose all of his fabric from the scrap basket. He cut his own "patches" for the front of the pillow and stuffed it full of wool and love.

Bobby Acorn was overjoyed at the sight of his gift. After a cup of chamomile, he sunk his head deep into his fluffy pillow and quickly dozed off. We were sure that he was dreaming of rainbows and climbing trees full of juicy red apples.

As for the pants, there's always tomorrow...

2 comments:

SherylMH said...

It seems like all my days lately have been like your Tuesday! What a gift to be able to turn the day around like you and Jasper did so admirably
(and what an adorable squirrel!).
Hope your Thursday is a "pants" day...Sheryl

Unknown said...

You have told the sweetest story here complete with so many photos! Thank you for sharing your cozy crafty moments with your children with us!