Monday, January 21, 2008

diversion

So, here it is. The pile that has been calling to me for a few days, "hey Lisa, remember us?". If the fabric is not reminding me that I really need to focus and start sewing, it is Jasper each day as he trots around in what I call his "knicker bockers". Is it possible for children to grow inches overnight? Well, today was my day to make pants. The fabric was washed, a new pattern was made and I had ideas flowing out of every crevice, but again, life took over.

It was the holiday that kept us within arms distance of each other today. It is not very often anymore where I have both children together at home all day during the school year. I truly cherish these moments and how they empower and connect us.

Rather than try to get my sewing done as the children played around me, I thought it would be so much more fun to get some fresh air and head to Multnomah Falls outside of Portland. We had never been to the Falls in the winter and were delighted to see a rather frozen world around us. Small mountain streams had turned into ice palaces, steep trails became slides (no kidding, people were actually sliding down the trails on their bottoms), and the bridge an ice skating rink.

Today, our goal was to get all three of us to the bridge with everyone carrying their own weight up the trail. Despite the conditions, we all manage to make it to the top. As we faced the waterfall, the fine mist tickled our noses and froze our cheeks. Samantha said that her mouth was so cold that it would be the perfect time to pull the tooth that is literally hanging by a thread.

Soon after we reached the bridge, the chill set in and we headed down the trail. We left the Falls with great pride, a warm steamer and one extra loose tooth still intact. Sammy thinks that tomorrow will be the day..... stay tuned.

1 comment:

Julie, Lee, Noah and Neve Machen said...

How wonderful. Sounds like Little Jackie Frost was nipping at your noses! So much blue....none as blue as Samantha's eyes!