Thursday, January 3, 2008

~the trees are calling~

For those of you that visit this blog for crafting ideas and inspiration, I do assure you that I will get back to sewing soon. I have to admit that I have found something so profoundly wonderful that has replaced all of my creative time at the moment. It is this glorious activity called "sleep". I suppose the holidays just plum wore me out. I put the children to bed at night and then myself...

Because of all of my restful evenings, I have found that I have a spring in my step and a clear head for some pretty creative problem solving. But most importantly, I have the energy to keep up with all of the little ones in my care and the ability to keep our days fun and full of play.

On this day, we decided to bear the cold and take our sticks for a walk to the park. Mr. Freckles tagged along for some fun. Our short trek was delightful and sunny but the park is where all the magic occurred. As soon as we arrived, the children began climbing on the trees, creating fairy homes around the tree bases, and setting up house inside a hollow trunk. An evergreen branch became a broom for sweeping up after a delicious dinner. A mossy tree trunk was the bus stop and a crooked tree branch as the perfect cane for the old troll that came to visit.

What was most remarkable about this whole experience was the fact that the children never once set foot on the play equipment. It was as if the trees were calling to them as they ran from trunk to trunk looking for potential in each crack and crevice.


Jasper was kind enough to be the "stick sitter" when the girls were busy with their work. He lovingly held the sticks close to keep them warm; a perfect mother goose! It is days like this that make me truly appreciate Waldorf Education and the many gifts it has given us...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Those sticks have to be protected! Waldorf has provided creativity and a love for nature, but MOM has too. I love the wonderful stump!

Mom