Sunday, January 27, 2008

beachcomber bags

A little "love in the mail" for our shell collecting friends in Ireland. I told myself that I would not post about these bags until they arrived at their new home, but honestly, I am so excited about them, I had to share.

The inspiration was a Kathy Kruse shell bag that Samantha received for her birthday (pictured at the bottom). As I opened the closet in Samantha and Jasper's room, the bag (full of walnuts and rocks) clocked me in the head. At that moment, I had an epiphany... "What a perfect gift and what fun they will be to make."


The fabric used was all from my stash. I did, however, have to visit the local hardware store for the screen material for the bottom of the bag. Oh, the look on the clerk's face when I told him what I was going to do with it; unforgettable... I'm thinking I should go back and show him as he was unsure I would be able to pull it off.

Here is our collection as of today. After Jasper saw the gnome bag, he requested one for his very own. Samantha is perfectly content with her birthday bag but has been eyeing the new fabric that just arrived from Superbuzzy. I'm sure more beachcomber bags will be in production soon.

2 comments:

Julie, Lee, Noah and Neve Machen said...

Oh I love you!, Noah. These bags ARE perfect! Absolutely wonderful. What a treat to see this morning. We too would have loved to see the expression on the face of the hardware man.
Giggle, giggle.

This is so thoughtful, "it warms our hearts."

Thank you, thank you, thank you. We can hardly wait to fill them......with photographic journaling of course.

Unknown said...

What a perfectly marveous idea! They are so cute with the lovely fabrics and the amazing mix of them you have created. The gnome fabric is precious. I have always loved the photos in our gnome book and been rather fascinated by the little creatures. I am continually enthralled by your blog.